Become a Leader
Some people see leadership as the ability to reach a particular position, such as a club editor. But those are not the only leaders in Key Club. Giving your time to serve is being a leader in your community. Whether you know it or not, people recognize your leadership through service.
It's natural to believe a positional leader is elected and comes with certain qualities, but even the greatest leaders need to work at it. Key Club offers numerous opportunities, both large and small, for student members to take on leadership roles. The leadership generally is divided into three levels; club, district and international.
In order to serve as an officer at any level, the candidate must be a dues-paid member in good standing of the organization. The best way to learn about the responsibilities and demands of any given office is to speak with the current office holder.
Key Club Leaders...
- Show members the BENEFITS AND EXPECTATIONS from membership.
- Recognize and make a big deal out of little VICTORIES.
- Encourage CREATIVITY to promote new ideas.
- Are FRIENDLY AND GENUINE with all club members.
- Know they must EARN RESPECT.
- LISTEN before they speak.
- Take OCCASIONAL BREAKS from projects to relax.
- Ask for HELP.
- ADMIT when they are wrong.
- Remember to lead is to SERVE.
If you would like to learn more, visit www.keyclub.org/becomealeader or talk to your Lt. Governor about the exciting opportunities in your district. Interested in international office? Talk with your administrator prior to your district convention.